My Lewisian Pipe Blog

the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand - C.S. Lewis

11/17/2005

Tis the Season

It is that time again where we bask in the glow of the red and green lights with Christmas music in the background. The crowded shopping venues. The smell of pine. There is one thing, however, about the season I dread because I see it repeated year after and it seems to be getting uglier and uglier. What I am referring to is the annual ritual of customers abusing the sales help.
I know that sales people can and frequently are rude. I have also witnessed some unnecessarily vitriolic displays by disgruntled customers. When a clerk/salesperson (there is a difference)tells you they are an item, there is absolutely no reason to challenge the validity of his/her parents' marriage at the time of the sales person's conception. Now, while this is bad, it is infinately worse when the culprit is sporting a "WWJD" ot "Jesus:The Reason for the Season" shirt. That is right, the people who I am talking about are the very ones to or about whom anything should need to be said. Imagine my shock at the nasty stare I got from one culprit when I gently reminded that person that Jesus most likely would not have angrily told the clerk that she had just ruined Christmas for the rest of her live because they were sold out of a mass-produced over-priced item that everybody and their cousin seems to own.
We as Christians should all know by now that Christmas is not about the accumulation of things. Certainly not to the point that you would allow such to ruin your Christmas while you proceed to ruin it for a person who really had nothing to do with your not being able to procure it. If, however, you insist upon being abusive to the help, do us all, and Jesus, a favor: leave that sweatshirt in the closet.